The New York NGO Committee on Drugs (NYNGOC) provides a platform for discussion of drugs and drug-related subjects and interfaces with the United Nations (UN) to collaborate on solutions to global drug issues. It is a global committee that aims to support civil society organizations in engaging with the UN system on international drug policy and practice, facilitating the exchange of information between civil society organizations and UN agencies, member states, and other relevant UN bodies. The NYNGOC represents more than 90 civil society organizations from across the globe. NYNGOC collaborates with other NGO organizations, especially the Vienna NGO Committee on Drugs (VNGOC) and the Alliance of NGOs on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice, to ensure a strong NGO voice in UN processes, recently, the 2016 UNGASS on Drugs and currently the 2019 High Level Ministerial Segment (HLMS). The NYNGOC operates under the umbrella of the Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations (CoNGO).
Created in 1984, the NYNGOC has a long history of participation in high-level meetings around drugs. In June 1987, the NYNGOC organized an international forum with VNGOC in conjunction with the 1987 International Conference on Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking. In 1994, the NYNGOC participated in the organization of the NGO World Forum on Drug Demand Reduction held in Bangkok. In 1998, the NYNGOC, along with VNGOC, coordinated an “NGO Village” during the UNGASS on Drugs. The NGO Village was a diverse gathering of NGOs resulting in a vibrant exchange of ideas and from which six NGO representatives with diverse points of view were chosen to address the General Assembly. In the NGO forum known as “Beyond 2008” which preceded the High-Level Meeting on Drugs held in Vienna in 2009, the NYNGOC also played a role in both the July 2008 forum and the nine regional consultations leading up to it. More recently, the establishment and launch of a formally recognized Civil Society Task Force (CSTF) in the lead up the the 2016 UNGASS on Drugs. Working closely with the VNGOC, the NYNGOC relaunched the CSTF again in 2018 to ensure meaningful engagement by the global community of NGOs and communities impacted by drugs and drug-related issues in the led up to the 2019 High-Level Ministerial Segment (HMS).
NYNGOC membership, while global in scope, is focused on the Americas – North America, Latin America and the Caribbean. NYNGOC elected new members of the Executive Committee at its Annual General Meeting held June 26, 2019:
- Heather Haase, Chair, NYC Bar Association Committee on Drugs & the Law (U.S.)
- Ernesto Cortés, Vice Chair, Asociación Costarricense para el Estudio e Intervención en Drogas (Costa Rica)
- Tania Ramírez, Secretary, México Unido Contra la Delincuencia (Mexico)
- Benjamin Phillips, Treasurer & Project Manager (U.S.)
- Brun González, International Network of People who Use Drugs (Mexico)
- Luciana Zaffalon, Plataforma Brasileira de Política de Drogas (Brazil)
- Rafael Torruella, Intercambios/Housing Works (Puerto Rico)
- Candelaria Aráoz Falcón, Intercambios (Argentina)
- Nazlee Maghsoudi, Centre on Drug Policy Evaluation (Canada)
- Summer Walker, Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized Crime (U.S.)